LEMON GROVE FIRE DEPARTMENT
STANDARDS FOR ABATEMENT
1) All trash, rubbish, debris, cuttings and or combustible materials must be removed from the property and properly disposed of.
2) Properties two (2) acres or less shall be cleared in their entirety.
3) Properties more than two (2) acres shall have a minimum of one hundred (100') feet clearance from structures and shall have a minimum of Fifty (50') feet clearance from the property lines. Distance shall be measured in a horizontal plane.
4) Roadways and or driveways shall be cleared to at least the width of the roadway plus ten (10') feet on each side, and to a height of thirteen and one-half (13 1/2') feet above the road surface.
5) CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS:
a. Clearance of properties shall be accomplished by methods that will not disturb native soil or root stock. Grading shall not be used to clear the properties without a valid grading permit.
b. Native chaparral may be thinned as approved by the Fire Department. Cuttings may be mulched and left on top of the soil to a maximum depth of six inches (6") or may be hauled to an approved County landfill site.
c. Mature trees must be trimmed to six feet (6') above the ground or as approved by the Fire Department and must be cut back at least ten feet (10') from chimneys. All leaves, bark and other debris must be removed from the ground and roof. Fifty (50) feet fire break at the property lines abutting the improved properties. Distance shall be measured in a horizontal plane.
6) The above standards are set as a minimum, the Fire Marshal may require additional clearing.